You’ve probably heard it plenty of times growing up as a kid as a teen or even as an adult(wherever you fall in any of those categories…) games are bad, games are a waste of time ,you could be doing plenty of other stuff instead of playing games and personally I think there are very few other things that can piss my mom off(like literally) in this world other than watching me playing video games.
But come to think of it are game really that bad? Like are they that useless in our lives ? Or is it just a popular misconception that has been quite prevalent in our societies.
So after some research I’m going to list some benefits of gaming but wait wait wait not that there are no harmful effects but it’s just that gaming is just like most of the things we consume ,take too much of it and it just happens to ruin other way more crucial areas of your life.
Enough with the boring talk :
1. Games have been proven to improve an individual’s cognitive abilities .Cognitive abilities includes an individual’s ability to “reason, plan, solve problems, understand complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience which are some of the things we evidently perform when playing games
2. Games are a sure way for stress relieving. Though this thoroughly depends on an individual but is one sure remedy to calm you down apart from the fact that they are enjoyable and engaging they also aid in releasing dopamine which makes you feel good (temporarily though) you still need to get your shit together.
3. Video games can help suppress cravings. Players preoccupied with indulging in overeating, smoking, or drinking might be best served by reaching for a controller instead. A university study revealed a 24 percent reduction in desire for their vice of choice after playing a puzzle game.
4. Games help create and strengthen the social bond between individuals. The amount of friends I have made by playing video games with each other is uncountable and the sense of competition it creates is always an experience not worth forgetting.
- Take a look at the eSports industry an organized world of competitive gaming which can be considered a 1billion dollar industry (which by the way is a lot) and will surpass the 1.53 billion dollar mark by 2023 . An average a professional gamer can earn up to between $1,000 and $5000 per month.
- The world’s highest earning eSports player Magnus Carlsen who racked up a whooping $510,587 in prize money from Chess24.
- Here is a list of high earnings by country so if you ever think of quitting school or quitting your job and prefer to play games you’ll just know where you will be able to get an environment that will support your new career.
I hope by reading this article you would have gained new way of viewing video games and how they are not given much of the credit it deserves in some of our communities and you’ll be able to defend yourself incase your about to get a spanking because of video games from your parent.